Thoughts on the Howard County Board of Education field.
[video link deleted].
Author's note (9/21/14): Yes, I set the original video to private. I didn't like how it turned out, primarily due to the length (and even with a long video, I was unable to cover such pressing issues as the optimal oversight role of an elected Board of Education, working successfully with other government agencies on matters such as housing, etc...).
So allow me to summarize some key takeaways:
1) From A to B: As of this writing, I plan on voting for Altwerger and Beams. I believe both are accomplished individuals who are subject matter experts in their respective fields. They can help elevate the discourse. Most importantly, they seem to be running for the right reasons: helping our students and making our already solid school system even better.
2) Of the eight candidates, I believe seven are actually qualified to serve on the Board of Education (all but Smith).
3) Of the eight, I believe six are qualified, have the proper temperament, and the ability to work productively and collaboratively for a four-year term of office (all but Smith and Dyer).
4) I believe it is highly likely that both French and Vaillancourt will be re-elected (80%+ likelihood for each placing in the top four).
5) I strongly recommend that anyone interested in the Howard County Board of Education race read through the following document. There is some gold in here. Very insightful information on each of the candidates, in their own words:
Stay tuned, as more will follow.