Thursday, March 5, 2015

Senate & House (Buddy Cop Show?)


Back from strolling around New York City on what appears to be a wintry December afternoon.  Yet the calendar reveals that it is March…it is hard to believe that Lá Fhéile Pádraig is a mere 12 days away.

In light of the fast moving political developments back home, I thought I would check out the must-read blogs, which of course includes The 53. 

Whilst reading The Cummings Path (note: Ludlum title alert), I noticed a reference to one of my latest posts, “Sparty sez that there should be a Howard County connection to our next US Senator.” 

I would say that “could be” is more in line with my current thinking.  The fields are evolving.  Many players are in deep deliberation mode. I don’t have favorites. Not yet. Not for the U.S. Senate seat, not for the 8th Congressional District, not for any other open seat – at whatever level – that might arise as a result of Senator Mikulski’s decision to not seek re-election.

As a general preference, I would like to see a candidate with a Howard County connection in the U.S. Senate field, which could include one (or more) of the five that I singled out, and/or one (or more) of the three U.S. Representatives with HoCo constituents.   Bear in mind that I enjoy multi-candidate primaries that feature several serious contenders.

I would imagine there are a fair number of progressives who would like to have an open and candid discussion regarding the Democratic Party’s vision and values.  Who knows, this might not occur in the presidential primary this cycle. I hope it does, but that remains to be seen.  So I would definitely favor a U.S. Senate primary in Maryland that allows for such a conversation.

If the Seventh Congressional District were to be an open seat in the 2016 cycle, well, that could be a fascinating opportunity for some local politicos.  We can talk about such a campaign at the appropriate time.

In the meantime, I look forward to the announcements that are certain to be made in the days and weeks ahead.  

Cassie Senate and Rebecca House.  Set in ‘70s Cleveland.  Might be time to work up a spec script.

Stay tuned, as more will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment