Sunday, December 7, 2014

Continental Engagement, Local Interest


Increasingly, I will spend time writing about community groups that are doing good work in Howard County.  With that in mind, today I am highlighting the Continental Societies, Incorporated.  There is a personal connection here, as the Mrs. was inducted into that organization (specifically the Southeastern Howard/Laurel Chapter) this afternoon in a gathering that occurred at the Sheraton Columbia Town Center.

Many luminaries were present at the induction; as the new members joined an international public service organization that focuses on five key programmatic areas: health, education, employment, recreation and arts/humanities.  This distinguished Continental Societies, Inc. chapter entered into a partnership with the Howard County Public School System shortly after being founded and has instituted a number of initiatives and activities “for many children and youth in our service area.” [Source: “Brief Chapter History”]

I look forward to covering the programs and service efforts they will implement in the coming months.  Congratulations to the new members of the sisterhood and thank you to all of the Continentals for all of the work you do to help the youth of Howard County.  More information about the organization can be found here:


On another note, I am evaluating my volunteer/service possibilities for 2015.  I have a meeting next week with one potential organization.  If I join, I will tell you all about it.  There are some other intriguing options, but I will talk about those if and when it becomes appropriate to do so.

Stay tuned, as more will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment