First, it is important to reiterate that this author is not a journalist. I am not restricted by the SPJ’s Code of Ethics, although I tend to abide by most of its provisions, sometimes deliberately. Bear this in mind.
Second, I assume some of the names will decide to not seek public office in 2018. If someone passed along a solid tip or a random musing, I gave each equal weight for the purposes of this exercise. So, don’t get freaked out. Or do.
So, here are the first six races of note.
1. CE: R (2), D (9). Multiple if/then statements on the D side.
2. CC1: R (2 ½ ) , D (1 ½ ). Only CC race with an incumbent.
3. CC2: R (1), D (5). I think the Conventional Wisdom in this race misses the mark.
4. CC3: R (5), D (5). Might end up being the most interesting race in the County in ’18.
5. CC4: R (?), D (8). My home district. I will be very active here. Very.
6. CC5: R (3), D (3). I don’t see the flip yet, but ’18 will be more competitive.
Beyond the above, I also heard another four names for CC, but not attached to any specific district.
Stay tuned, as more will follow.