Monday, June 20, 2016

On Deities and Doughnuts


Underneath his typical somber/sullen rhythms, I thought I heard what could pass for glee in his voice.  Of course the Skype connection wasn’t 100%, so it was hard to tell.

“You have Duck Donuts where you live?”

“Yeah, Slats, kinda.  Driving distance. Why?” I asked, wondering how he heard about the place.

“I ordered some the other day.  Having a couple boxes delivered here. “

“Here being…?”

“Never mind.  I stuck it on the Libertarian tab.  Their accountant is an anarchist, they will never notice.”

“Anyway,” he continued, “Have you had the maple bacon ones, the kind with the real bacon?  A divine torus, indeed!”

Knowing that Slats was a bit of a skeptic on matters pertaining to religion, I had to follow up.

“Divine?  This is coming from a committed agnostic, right?” I prodded.

“Aren’t you the World’s Worst Buddhist? Look, the universe is too big to discount the possibility of an omniscient being.   It is the pinnacle of self-conceit for humankind, with our thin record of civilization collectively and our short live-spans individually, to think otherwise,” he replied matter-of-factly.

“So, Gary Johnson paid you on time then?” I inquired.

“In cash, check, and Bitcoin.  Hallelujah.”

Stay tuned, as more will follow.






No comments:

Post a Comment