Monday, August 7, 2017

Detroit's Own

No, I am not claiming to be a Detroit native.  Let us be clear about that.  I was privy to far too many conversations in college that went something like this:

Me: “Where ya’ from?”

Person A: “Detroit.”

Me: “Oh, really, which neighborhood?”

Person A: (eyes averted/floor-gazing, shoulders slumped) “Um. Sterling Heights.” [note: not Detroit, not even Wayne County]

Today’s post is about a singer-songwriter, born in Detroit, Sufjan Stevens (as we rapidly approach the alliteration event horizon).

Specifically, his work entitled: "The Dress Looks Nice onYou,” the lyrics to which are:

I can see a lot of life in you.
I can see a lot of bright in you.
And I think the dress looks nice on you.
I can see a lot of life in you.

I can see a bed and make it too.
I can see a fireside turn blue.
And I can see the lot of life in you.
Yes, I can see a lot of life in you.

When the world looks back.
When the face looks after that.
I can see a lot of life in you.
I can see a lot of life in you.

I can see a lot of life in you.
I can see a bed and make it too.
And I think the dress looks nice on you.
Yes, I can see a lot of life in you.

Not the most complex tune.  Yet the ethereal sound works extremely well with the simple, wistful lyrics.  The coexistence of hopefulness and melancholy imbues the song with a sense of authenticity; who among us hasn’t stammered our way through a conversation, trying to express precisely how they feel…and yes, sometimes, falling short.  So we try to connect on a basic level, "I think the dress looks nice on you" and we hope that the listener understands what we are attempting to say, even if the speaker is unclear in their own mind.    

Something I wanted to share on this rainy August morning.


Stay tuned, as more will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment